The Commonwealth Iconoclast

A site dedicated to covering issues relevant to the Commonwealth of Virginia, and nation at large, plus other interesting things too, as I see fit...

Friday, August 12, 2005

Fulk Campaign: "Laziness will kill you dead"

"Laziness will kill you dead" is an expression that I first heard used by the mother of a college buddy of mine several years ago. I think that this expression should be communicated to who or whomever is handling democratic candidate Lowell Fulk's campaign for the 26th Delegate seat.

Here's a brief description of the situation: Since the announcement by the republican incumbent, Glen Weatherholtz, that he would retire after 2005 from his seat, a relatively competitive race is developing for his vacant seat between Fulk, and the republican nominee Matt Lohr. Considering that Fulk narrowly lost to the incumbent Weatherholtz in the last election, Fulk has to be feeling pretty good about his chances this time. Even in the republican dominated 26th district.

Regardless of who wins the race, it will likely be a major upgrade for the residents of the 26th district. I've only lived in the area for a short time, but I've heard from both republican and democrats that Weatherholtz appeared to be a boarder line incompetent legislator/person.

So back to the campaign. In my Harrisonburg neighborhood several Matt Lohr yard signs started appearing (maybe three?), so I thought to myself maybe I should call the Fulk campaign and see if I could get a few yard signs. I'll put one in my yard and then do a little canvassing of the neighborhood and find some other Fulk friendly houses and ask them if it would be OK to put a sign in their yard too. Also, over the course of the last few years I've become familiar with democratic friendly households (previous elections), so this will be my little contribution to Fulk's campaign - you get the idea. It's a small gesture, but this is a delegate race too. I mean isn't this the essence of such an election?

Therefore I decided to contact the Fulk campaign and set up a time or place where I could pick up some of his gear, and then do my thing. So I called the number that Fulk listed on his web site as "contact the campaign". OK, I called and left a message, once, twice, three times, Ok no one is calling me back! I even left multiple messages telling them what I was doing, and what I would need. Still no call back! Wow! So then I tried the Democratic Party of Rockingham. Same result.

I then decided to try a little experiment. You've got it, I contacted the Lohr campaign - once again through the number listed in his web site- bingo, two hours later I'm called right back. Wow, real, real depressing. Good job Lohr, you just might want this election after all!

Ok, so what does all this mean? Well probably nothing, I'll still vote for Fulk, but let's just say every time I pass a Lohr sign I don't get quite as motivated to campaign for Fulk, and can you blame me? My suggestion to Fulk is if you're going to list someone as a point of contract for you campaign, be damn sure they actually do something, it's obvious that Lohr must have thought of this minor detail when selecting a point of contact for his campaign.

8 Comments:

  • At 8/13/2005 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are scads of signs in the Fulk campaign office on South Main Street. The office is on the 2nd floor, turn left at the top of the stairs. It's not marked (or wasn't a few days ago). No, you shouldn't have to go to such lengths to get a sign, but I can promise you that it's only August and the campaign (which I do NOT work for) was busy with the fund-raiser. Fulk just might win, really.

     
  • At 8/15/2005 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well Augusta County Dems are poor, very poor, so we have a short-term memory blitz strategy. We aren't putting up signs till probably next month. And we don't have a website, an office, or a phone. May that is better, no advertising instead of false advertising.

     
  • At 8/16/2005 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I heard someone last nigth refer (at the Rockingham County Fair) refer to Lohr as "a air headed pretty boy", not relevant, it just made me laugh...

     
  • At 8/17/2005 4:53 PM, Blogger zen said…

    I agree with Amanda M. it could be a financial issue. But that is really no excuse for the lack of communication. In order to build a party, that includes funding, the base must be grown. And if willing participants are given the cold shoulder, it is sad.

    I encourage you to keep pounding and tell them straight up that this is not any way to build and embrace support. Many people wouldn't have called in the first place, much less repeatedly. On a related not I did find a Fulk bumpersticker under my windshield wiper one day when I parked downtown. I suppose it was mt Kerry sticker that attracted the attention.

    That being said. I do not live in Fulk's district but I am feeling pretty good about his chances.

     
  • At 8/18/2005 8:29 AM, Blogger Will Vaught said…

    yea, I was a little pissed, but a buddy of mine at work told me the new yeard signs just came in a few days ago, and they are suppose to get in touch with me..we'll see.

     
  • At 8/18/2005 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    check out www.republitarian.com it is by a local libertarian nut, but it really takes Matt Lohr to task and is funny

     
  • At 8/22/2005 9:37 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    I am not a libertarian nut. I am an evangelical, conservative christian.

     
  • At 8/23/2005 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Republitarian - good your an evagelical - that must mean you have purchased the complete line of Pat Robertson's diet shakes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home